Thursday, January 29, 2009

Mac and Cheese with Sundried Tomato Pesto


I wanted to share some of my food concoctions but you will have to be patient because I usually wing the measurements.

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp butter
flour or cornstarch
1 cup heavy cream (Milk can be used as a substitute but the sauce will not be as thick)
2-4 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper
16 oz box of pasta, penne or fusilli
Sundried tomato pesto (from trader joe's) (optional)

1. Boil 2/3 of the box of pasta (about 12 oz) until al dente then drain.
2. While pasta is boiling, melt butter in a sauce pan on medium heat. Once butter is melted mix in a small spoonful of flour or corn starch to thicken.
3. Pour in the cup of cream. Add worchestershire sauce. Stir with whisk to mix together.
4. Add in the cheese. I suggest tasting as you go so you know when you reach your cheesiness level. Salt and pepper to taste. Stir sauce and bring to a boil over medium heat. Once you have reached a boil remove from heat.
5. The last step is to add in some pesto to spice it up. Really you can pick any type of pesto that you like. I really like Trader Joe's sundried tomato pesto and it saves me the time of making the pesto myself. I just take a large spoon full of pesto and mix it into the cheese sauce. Then pour the sauce over the noodles, mix it all together and you are ready to eat. If you just want plain mac and cheese, skip the pesto step.

No comments:

Post a Comment